Thursday, January 19, 2006

A bag to lug around my crochet projects


I wanted to make a big bag to hold my currently in-use crochet stuff because my yarn and various and sundry projects were all over the place.

Using Homespun yarn, which I don't think I'll ever use again because its durability is questionable, I crocheted the two rectangular panels in sc. Using the spike stitch I learned from
http://www.crochetme.com, I spike stitched in some raspberry yarn leftover from my mother's Christmas present. I purposely didn't make the stripes on each side match for a custom look. The spike stitch usually looks crisper, but because Homespun is ruffled, it's not crisp. I like it anyway.

I picked up the long bamboo handles from Lewiscraft for about $6.99. So that they don't slip out of the loops, my father drilled holes through the wood and I ran yarn through the hole and fastened it to the loops.

If I were to do a bag again, rather than fasten the two side rectangular panels on the bottom to make the bottom of the bag, I'd crochet a bottom panel. I think the bag lost a lot of structure because I decided to forego the bottom pannel. I would not use Homespun either, because the stitches can't get tight enough for a well-structure bag.

So, it didn't turn out how I wanted it to: a well-structured, sturdy bag. Instead, it's more of a floppy bag. I guess I learned my lesson. It will still fulfull its duty of holding my future projects.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Well, I don't care what you think. I think it rocks! :)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Your Grandma and I are hookers. said...

Ditto!

12:24 PM  
Blogger nicole. said...

Oh, you kids are sweet. Thank you for your encouragement.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Roe said...

Hi, saw your post on "Crochet Me". Love the purse. I did a belt using that stitch and now I think a pillow is in my future.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

So cute! I love it.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Nice! I love the effect with just the one band of spike stitching. Makes me think of all sorts of design possibilities...icicles, dripping water - blood...especially if you only work the spike stitching on one edge of the band and leave the other one smooth. Thanks for sharing!

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home