Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Silver wire necklace


So, I got the idea for crocheting with wire from a crochet magazine. The pattern called for 28 gauge copper-coated wire. I found that and also bought 32 gauge. 28 was really hard to crochet with so I switched to 32 and spared my hands from arthritis for another month or two.

Using a 6 or a 6.5 hook (I don't remember), I just began to chain like you would with yarn. The initial slip knot/knot was definitely the most difficult. When I managed to make it tight, the wire snapped, so I left the end looser than I would ever leave a yarn end.

I did a few chains with no beads. Then on the last two chains I added clear glass beads with silver lined holes. I added a bead, pushed it down to the chain and chained one. Voila.

Last but not least, I attached the toggles. This sucks, basically. With a bead around all the loose ends, I found it easier to tie them together and slip them through the toggle hole. But it sucked, I struggled and I'm back to yarn until I get the energy to go back to finicky wire.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you're so amazing!

12:20 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: I considered leaving that post up there ^^ anonymous and then continuing to haunt your blog with random, creepy comments. But then my conscience got to me. So... uh... that was me!

--R :c)

6:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home